|Excerpt: "World War II was drawing to an end, and American troops
were now occupying a weak, war-ravished part of Germany. But,
on October 15, 1946, in the German city of Stuttgart, a small
elementary school opened, catering to the educational needs of
54 American school children. Along with only 2 teachers, the
students occupied an old 4-story German school building. In 1948,
a junior high school was added to the now flourishing elementary
school. Stuttgart's senior high school officially opened in 1953
in a brand-new school building overlooking Bad Cannstatt. This
eventually gave way to the Stuttgart American High School as
we know it, with it's "endless" hallways in the American
suburb of Pattonville."
||Started building Stuttgart American High School at Pattonville.
The high school consisted of only
the 9th grade class. The 10th,11th and 12th grade students, who
lived in Stuttgart, attended high school in Heidelberg and lived
in the dorms.
|Fall 1953 - Spring 1955
||SAHS was located at Robinson
Barracks (old SA (SturmAbteilung)
barracks). Mr. Wiksten was the Principal.
The Army post football team was called the Stallions. They gave
SAHS uniforms the first year.
became the "Stuttgart Stallions" after two straight
||SAHS opened at
Pattonville. Mr. Johnson was the Principal. There were 300 students and 35 graduating Seniors.
were 506 students and 57 graduating Seniors.
||School name changed
from Stuttgart American High School to Ludwigsburg American High School.
||Paris High School
closed. SHAPE moved to Belgium and European Command moved to
Stuttgart (Patch Barracks).
||School name changed
from Ludwigsburg American High School to Stuttgart American High School. There were 1200 students and 280 graduating Seniors.
||1st Infantry Division
moved from Augsburg to Göppingen. Students transferred to
High School was opened on Patch Barracks. There were 900-950 students.
were 140 graduating Seniors.
||SAHS closed and
the students were transferred to Patch American High School.
Larry Sessions was the Principal. There were 300 students and 52 graduating Seniors.
renamed to Erich-Bracher-Schule.
|1952-1992 The End of an Era